Welcome to my blog!

I started this blog to share the ups and downs of real life. The good, the bad, the happy, the sad, the mundane, the insane...you get the picture. Why??? For no other purpose than to encourage others who are raising a family, going through the ups and downs of life, letting you know you are not alone, and that we are not all epic failures for having a life that is not perfect!!!



Thursday, June 7, 2012

Save the Trees!!!

It never ceases to amaze me.  The amount of paperwork needed for what to me are simple tasks.  I mean think about it.  Whether its all the paperwork required for a new job, medical issues, insurance, DMV, right down to monthly bank statements or cell phone bills!!!  Does it really require 8 pages to tell me that my son texts a lot, and I have to pay you $170?  I think not.

Aside from the sheer amount of paperwork needed, there are the "important" documents we are supposed to save.  Tax forms from previous years, pay stubs, bank statements, blah blah blah.  Oh, I almost forgot! We also have to save every picture, poem, story, art project and report card from kindergarten on.  (And don't even try to secretly store them in the circular Rubbermaid file-I assure you, your children will find out, and be devastated because the crayola masterpiece you threw away was a milestone in their young lives.)

Now don't get me wrong, many of these typed up, colored on, signed, dated, and notarized dead tree parts should be saved, or at least the information on them.  In my own experience, in my own home, I feel like we are being over-run by papers.  Papers that are never where they should be when you need them.  Drawers, files, refrigerator, my desk.  And don't forget paper towels and toilet paper.  It's everywhere, and no matter how organized we are, with the constant supply of endless medical and insurance documents, all the papers that come with 4 children, and the junk mail we still get in this age of e-everything, I truly feel that one day, we will have to vacate the premises, due to a fire hazard.  Incidentally, is a paperwork fire considered a forest fire?  Papers are, after all, remnants and remains of many a happy little tree Bob Ross imagined and painted in some meadow.

OK, so I am being dramatic and sarcastic.  But here's my point.  In an age where we learn about our friends and family's comings and goings on facebook, and communication is largely in the form of texts and tweets, isn't there a better way???  Now I could go into a long, drawn out dissertation about how our mass consumption of paper products is leading to the melting of the polar ice caps, but I won't.  And I could launch into a rant about how we are destroying our beautiful, natural landscapes, (which, by the way I agree with.  Nature is a horrible thing to destroy,) I won't go there either.  No, instead, I will cry out to the powers that be, to save humanity from the see of paperwork threatening to overcome us.  Many people think an asteroid strike or even a zombie apocalypse will be our downfall.  Me?  I think we will be overrun with paper.  For the love of all things good people, save some trees!!!

No if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go read the newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment