Welcome to my blog!

I started this blog to share the ups and downs of real life. The good, the bad, the happy, the sad, the mundane, the insane...you get the picture. Why??? For no other purpose than to encourage others who are raising a family, going through the ups and downs of life, letting you know you are not alone, and that we are not all epic failures for having a life that is not perfect!!!



Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pruning

I have this tree in my front landscaping called a japanese maple. It is a really pretty tree, and I have admired it, and it has been one of my favorite things about my house since we bought it some thirteen years ago. It turns a deep red in late summer, and then really red in the fall. The shape is quite interesting too. About four years ago, the tree was damaged in an late winter ice storm, and one limb specifically seemed to die off totally. That spring the tree struggled, and by summer, I was worried the entire tree would die.

I came home from work one day, to find that the tree had been butchered!!! Well, not really, but it seemed it to me. My mother in law had cut the tree back. Way back. I was livid! I thought for sure the tree would die, but she said I should trust her, and in the next season, it would grow, and in two seasons it would be better than ever. She was right. The tree almlost instantly got greener, and new buds and branches started to appear. The next season, it changed back to it's red color again, and now, four years later, it is more beautiful than ever. Removing the dead, dying, and damaged parts restored it. Brought about new life.

Before you check out, and stop reading, don't- i'm not just writing about landscaping. I used this illustration to explain to my children why my father had to have his leg amputated recently. My father is ill, a severe diabetic on dialysis. He recently had a quadruple bypass and he has vascular disease to boot. He's also only 50, so his health issues have been exhausting for him, as well as the entire family. My boys seemed especially horrified at the idea that he was having half of his leg amputated. They couldn't understand why, and really felt like he wouldn't be the same papa. Well, after I told them the story about my favorite tree, and how removing the dead, damaged parts saved it, and made it stronger than ever, they understood. They have a new hope for my father, and a new outlook on his recovery. They now see and understand that in the long run, this will be great for my father, and may have very well saved his life.

There is another side to the story about the tree though, another lesson to be learned. It goes for us, our souls as well. How many of us have hurts, bad memories, bad experiences, unforgiveness? And what about disappointments and unfulfilled dreams and expectations? I have all of the above. So many of them were causing me hurt, and affecting every part of my life, my marriage, my relationships with my kids. It was until I did some "pruning" if you will. I had to remove some dead stuff, some damaged areas in my heart in order to have new life again. Am I there yet? No, but i'm still pruning. What I am noticing now, is more growth. More new life. More beauty and joy appearing in my life. See, I too, had to ask God to help me remove the dead and damaged to see new life, new growth. It's hard, and painful, and a long process, but so worth it in the end. If you want to read a good book to help you with your pruning, check out "Freedom from Your Past" by Jimmy Evans. Another great one is "Total Forgiveness", by RT Kendall. I should warn you- these books are life changing, so get your work gloves on, get out your pruning sheers, and prepare for some new growth. Be well!!!

4 comments:

  1. I am happy to hear that your dad is doing better. Using the pruning illustration to teach the kids was a great idea. Writing about it was also a great idea. We all need to do some pruning in our lives. To get rid of all the dead stuff that is holding us back. When there is new growth, we start to look at our lives very differently. It helps us to recognized how truly blessed we are. Keep writing Jim, I've enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so taken back not only by your insiteful words but your writing Jim. My prayers for your
    Dad are neverending,and no doubt this surgery saved his life every bit as much as his heart surgery. I too look forward to your next blog entry for it teaches me so much too. Thank you! Love Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Depth In Which Your Mind Travels Is A Minor Miracle In A Major thing called " LIfe On Lifes Terms ". Sometimes The Terms Are worse than the Trip Itself . Stay Strong And Just BELIEVE God has a way that we do not quite understand .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dad sounds like a very strong and solid guy. Blessed by the strength and courage of a Lion. Raised a very bright and Blessed young man . Your knowledge of such things are well beyond your years I am sure. God Has Blessed You And Yours .

    ReplyDelete